Thank you for visiting our list of the most Frequently Asked Questions. If you are a VFW member and can't easily find the answers your're looking for here, please login and revisit the FAQ to be connected to our listing of FAQs designed specifically for members.


Whether you're active-duty or retired from the military, you are eligible to join if you meet our  eligibility requirements.

Yes. VFW Service Officers are trained professionals, skilled in navigating the complex VA claims process and helping veterans to recover billions in VA benefits and compensation each year. Whether you're just preparing to file a claim or considering filing an appeal to your disability rating,
find a VFW Service Officer in your area to get the assistance you've earned - free of charge. And you don't have to be a member to take advantage of this service.

There are several ways you can donate to the VFW to help America’s veterans. You can

donate online via credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) or PayPal account, or in the form of cash, check or money order by mailing your donation directly to: 

Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States 
406 W. 34th Street
Kansas City, MO 64111

We also offer a monthly, quarterly, biannual or annual donation program and electronic fund transfer (EFT). For more information on any of these options, please contact our Donor Services Department by email or phone at: 816-756-3390, ext. 7108.

Since its founding in 1899, the VFW has enacted many programs and services geared to meet  the current needs of America's service members, veterans and military families, as well to meet community needs worldwide. VA claims assistance, legislative advocacy, troop support programs, youth activities, community service and scholarship are a few of the ways we work to give back to those who've given so much for all of us.

You can contact the National Personnel Records Center at 314-801-0800 or via its website. In addition to providing copies of military records, they are able to update records to correct errors or reflect awards that may have been issued retroactively.

No. The VFW's congressional charter prohibits the organization from endorsing or otherwise supporting political candidates or any individual running for a public office position.

In order to update your donor information, or have your name removed from our solicitation mailing list, please contact our Donor Services Department by email or phone at: 816-756-3390, ext. 7108.

The VFW operates as a non-profit corporation through a special charter granted by U.S. Congress. However, the VFW is not a government agency, and therefore receives no financial support from the government. We depend primarily on support from patriotic citizens like you. Our organization complies with the highest ethical standards and is working to create the most cost-efficient fundraising outreach in our history. Over the last decade, nearly 80% of support received from VFW members and patriotic Americans was applied directly to veteran's service, community service, legislative advocacy and military service programs worldwide.

You must be a veteran who has honorably served overseas in an area of foreign conflict in order to join the VFW. However, if you are not eligible for VFW membership but are the parent, grandparent, spouse, sibling, child or grandchild of a qualifying veteran, you can apply for membership in the VFW Auxiliary. Visit the VFW National Auxiliary or call 816-561-8655 for more information.

You can contact the National Personnel Records Center and they will be able to issue a DD-215 showing receipt of the Korea Defense Service Medal. In the meantime, any sort of travel orders or military documentation showing your service in Korea for at least 30 consecutive, or 60 non-consecutive days will suffice as proof of eligibility for VFW membership.

You can contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) for copies of your Leave and Earnings Statements (LES) or they can direct you to your service-specific finance office for those records.

To request permission to use the VFW’s name, logo or marks for print or commercial purposes, please submit a completed authorization request form to the VFW Quartermaster Generals office or email qmgeneral@vfw.org for additional information.

Yes. You are welcome to subscribe to VFW magazine for only $15 per year (10 issues). Simply view and print the subscription form.

If you are a freelance writer wishing to write a feature for the magazine, please carefully read and review our guidelines before making a submission.

We include token gifts in our mailings because experience has shown us that our donors appreciate, and even look forward to receiving these gifts. The VFW is not a government agency and receives no federal financial support; we depend primarily on the generosity of patriotic supporters. The items included in our mailings are inexpensive to produce, and help us to raise more money than if we did not include them in our mailings. Since our goal is to help as many veterans each year as possible, we must continue to mail packages that raise the highest amount of donations to be used toward our support programs.